Monday, October 13, 2008

Literary Adventure

Okay, so, I used to read. Tons. Mostly fiction, but once I became a parent I switched to non-fiction. (If I read fiction, I ignore everything and everyone until I finish the book.) But I haven't read anything new in ages. Oh sure, I've dug out my old copies of Pride and Prejudice and Little Women. In the last 6 months I think I've read the Ann of Green Gables series, most of Austen's novels, and Little Men. Last year I think I read the Harry Potter series at least 3 times, maybe more. I want to read something new. I have lots of books that I haven't read yet, both fiction and non-fiction. The fiction is mostly classics, but I have no desire to read them because they are full of anti-god or anti-social thinking. 19th century American lit is not exactly known for it's uplifting themes.

I went to the library Saturday and browsed the shelves. I had 20 minutes before they closed and it was very hard to pick out the 5 books that I did. A Beverly Lewis novel, a Thoene novel, a dairy-free cookbook, a history book about Alexander the Great, and What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know.

I'd like to start reading 1 book a week. I finished the Lewis novel, The Preacher's Daughter. It was okay. The story was good, but the writing was not that great. We need more modern Jane Austens. I flipped through the 4th grader book and was disappointed. It was less of a checklist and more of a lesson plan. Not what I was expecting. The cookbook looked good. I might find a gem or two in it to add to my repertoire.

I'd love some suggestions for good books. Any genre. Although I won't read fiction if it doesn't reflect Christian morality.

3 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

I know Sonlight has a large collection of some of the best of the best books out there.

I don't know exactly what "reflect Christian morality" means to you, but some of my personal favorites have been:

"The Gammage Cup"
"A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears"
"Till We Have Faces"
"The Bridge of San Luis Rey"
"Dracula" (yes, it contains a strong "Christian morality" [smile])
"The Phantom Toolbooth"

Those are a few from my shelf.

~Luke

Anonymous said...

I really like The Other Bolyne Girl - it's historical fiction, interesting - there are 4 books in that series - Phillipa Gregory - you can totally see the clothes and castles, etc.

Crystal Malek said...

Well, nothing too fancy for reading currently at our house. We're still in the Little House series and the kids LOVE it. I think we have 3 more books and then we're done. Post your reading suggestions here anytime so I can get some new ideas. Hope all is well!! How is training going for Justin?